How Can You Protect Yourself From Unclean Data?
The first step is to stop dirty data from entering your systems in the first place (see error prevention and capture). However this is not always possible, and we have to cope with data from external systems or old data that hasn’t been validated.
So what do we do when unclean data has entered our systems already?
The first step in ridding your business of unclean data is to run an audit on your data. For most businesses, a manual audit of their data would either take too long and/or would not identify all of the issues.
We develop automated tools that will check your data against a set of validation rules to check they are as error free as possible. The validation rules can be as numerous and as complicated as your business needs. Some of the rules our past clients have used include;
- Checking serial numbers of the correct format
- Dates are valid and end dates don’t come before start dates
- Totals add up (e.g. cost + tax really does equal the amount given)
- Data cross references correctly against other data
- Checksums calculate correctly
- Values in one field are dependent on values in other fields
- Illegal hidden characters are not present
- Much, much more.
What Can I Do With My Unclean Data?
Once you have identified problems in your data, you have a number of options on how to handle it. These options can be combined to come up with a solution that fits your business.
Call 02921 29 2235
Outside UK Call +44 2921 29 2235
Your Extra Peace of Mind
To keep your spreadsheets up and running, Excel-Expert offers a unique and free after-sales support package. Any snags found in the first 60 days are fixed immediately and for free. Should you find any bugs in our programming in the first 3 years they are also fixed for free.